Unique Handloom & Handicrafts Back
Manipuri enjoys a district place amongst the Handloom zones in India. Handloom industry is the largest cottage industry in the State. This industry has been flourishing since time immemorial. One of the special features of the industry is that women are the only weavers. According to the National handloom Census Reports 1988 there are about 2.71 lakh looms in Manipur.
Handloom and Handicraft goods are the important cottage and home industries taken up by the people. Among the womenfolk, handloom cloth weaving is the traditional occupation of the district. Their productions of clothes are mainly household clothes for everyday use and traditional ceremonial dress etc. They feel proud to wear clothes which they themselves have made. In some place, such as Wangkhei, Chingmeirong and Khurai areas where handloom weaver co-operative societies are concentrated. Handloom products like, Wangkhei Phi, Lashing Phi and Phanek and its different designs made by these weavers are in great demand both in the home and outside markets as well. This occupation provides employment to almost women in the district. This can certainly be developed in the district by upgrading the skills of artisans introducing of improved looms and provision of cheap yarns. Cane and Bamboo works, Carpentry, Black smithy and Jewellery etc. are the important household industries among the male people in the district. The artisans in these trades are widely spread over the district. This enables them to supplement their meager income from agriculture
AWARDEE OF IMPHAL EAST
: Smt Chungkham Rani Devi.
Certificates / Awards :
1) Certificates of honour in 1975 for her outstanding contribution and achievement in the craft.
2) First prize in Design Competition in 22nd All India Handloom week in 1976.
3) State Award in the Competition for State Award to Master Craftsmen for the year 1979-80 by the Govt. of Manipur.
4) First prize in Design Competition held on 15-12-90 at Imphal for Artistic Textiles.
5) National Certificate of Merit in 1990,by the Government of India.
6) Certificate of participation in the craft design competition at Guwahati 1997.